#AchaarDay – Paariyan Waari Khatairn – Paani Wala Achaar
Hello My Chatora People,
As you all must be knowing by now, the renowend food writer and culinary expert Rushina Munshaw-Ghildiyal has initiated Indian Food Observance days and I have a part of a few in the past.
22nd April 2018 is being celebrated as #AchaarDay / #AamAchaarDay and let me tell you all, I am a huge fan of Achaars. I still get scolded by mommy for consuming too much of it. But, no one can stop me when Dal Chawal is served at my place. What to do? The robust flavours, the spices, that tongue-tickling goodness, the spicy thrill is just so amazing. 😛
If we talk about achaar, it fills me with nostalgia wherein my dadi used to make some amazing achaars. I remember we used to live in a joint family the and all the ladies in the house used to sit in the garden area and make pickle. Dadi used to have huge jars which were almost of my height I believe. All the achaar was stored in them and preserved for the whole year. Well, Dadi is no more but I still have fond memories of her making the achaar. We still have those jars and utensils. Dad got them painted and now they look even better. While talking about the present time, my Nani still sends me aam and nimbu ka achaar every time I visit Indore. Indore being just 3.5 hours away she still packs Koki and achaar for me whenever I travel back to Bhopal. <3
While there are so many varieties of achaar, I thought to share a recipe of a Sindhi achaar which is yet again my favourite. It’s super duper easy, is oil free and moreover healthy. Can you beat that? 😛
Sharing the recipe of Paani wala achaar which is called as Paariyan waari Khatairn. Khatairn means achaar in Sindhi. Hope you all like it. 🙂
- 2-3 Long Carrots, Wash, peel and cut into 2-3inches long slices
- 2 Turnips Wash, peel and cut into about 4-5 pieces.
- 1 Cup Cauliflower cut into small flower sizes
- 1 Tablespoon Green Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Mustard Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 Teaspoons of red chilli powder
- Salt according to taste.
- Half Litres of Water
- (You can also add radish if you want)
- Boil the veggies just for 2 minutes so that the outer layer is softened while inside it should be a little crunchy.
- Let it cool down.
- Now mix all the ingredients mentioned above in a glass jar.
- Keep it at least for two days.
- Relish it with lunch. )